-
November 16th, 2003, 11:24 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Greetings All,
I have a 515 woofer that was being kept as a spare. It sat on a shelf resting on the magnet with the cone facing up. At some point a cardboard box was placed on top of the woofer in a way that caused the bottom of the box to become adhered to a small length of the tacky surround. When the box was eventually lifted away it caused the surround to separate from the cone for about an inch or so along the perimeter where they meet. Arrrrgh.
Is there a good or recommended way to repair this? I would think an adhesive would need to remain flexible after drying to work well for this purpose. Suggestions?
As always, thanks an advance.
-
November 17th, 2003, 12:50 AM
#2
Inactive Member
If the pleated surround is not torn and it is only separated at the cone, you could use a very light amount of plastic model cement. Another possible adheasive would be the gel type (thick) super glue. The tacky speaker dope on the surround will often self heal once it is re-attached to the cone. There are specialty adheasives for this repair however, I have not found any of them available in small quantities.
Jim
-
November 17th, 2003, 01:47 AM
#3
Inactive Member
I took one of my 604's that had a small tear in the surroud to my local reconer, and he cleaned off all the tacky stuff with a solvent of some sort, and then redid the entire speaker. I cannot locate the tear anymore, and pressing all the way around on the surround, it does not separate, I just can't find where it was at all! He charged me 20 bucks or so.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks